Minsk National Airport summed up the results of the past year. There were several records and a scattering of interesting facts and events. The selection is published on the official website of the airport.
Event of the year
The main event of 2019 is the opening of the second runway.
Record of the year
For the first time in the history of the Republic of Belarus, Minsk National Airport met its 5 millionth passenger. It happened on December 23, 2019. The passenger arrived from Frankfurt with Lufthansa Airlines.
The total number of passengers served is 5 101 766.
The busiest month is August (592,624 passengers).
The busiest date is August 16 (20,785 passengers).
Flights and Airlines
The number of flights is 28,417.
The largest number of served flights per day (departure + arrival) – 208 (June 21).
The largest number of served flights per month (departure + arrival) – 5737 (July).
Top 5 popular destinations:
1. Moscow – 6392 flights;
2. Kiev – 2365 flights;
3. St. Petersburg – 1572 flights;
4. Kaliningrad – 777 flights;
5. Warsaw – 725 flights.
The most punctual airlines:
- Aeroflot (Russia) – the most punctual carrier in 2019 in the nomination “Airlines operating 100 or more flights monthly”. The punctuality score is 78.8%.
- AirBaltic (Latvia) – the most punctual carrier in 2019 in the nomination “Airlines operating less than 100 flights monthly” The punctuality score is 83.3%.
- Fast Track – a new service for late passengers. The service allows air passengers, after check-in for a flight, to pass pre-flight screening in priority order through a separate screening point;
- Drop-off – a service able for passengers to check-in their luggage by themselves.
- Seats pre-selection -passengers can choose a seat on Belavia flights
Nov 18, 2019 Belavia increased the weight of hand luggage & lunched new tariffs without luggage. A passenger can choose business class tariff or 4 economy class tariffs: “Promo”, “Light”, “Smart”, “Flex” with baggage allowance rules from only 1 piece of hand luggage max weight 10kg with tariffs “Promo” “Light” to 2 x 32 kg check-in baggage and 2 x 10 kg hand luggage.
The most unusual oversized baggage: a 150 cm teddy bear.
The most unexpected item identified during the inspection: a skeleton neatly packed in a suitcase. It turned out that this is just a training skeleton, which the doctor took with him to the conference.
The most unusual item forbidden for transportation in an aircraft, revealed during inspection: perfume in the form of a model of a military grenade.
Earlier, we wrote that in December 2018, Minsk Airport received a 4-millionth passenger. The increasing is 25% or 1,000,000 passengers.
Thus, Minsk is becoming an increasingly popular destination for tourists from all over the world and we see no barriers to the further growth of passenger traffic. Moreover, Le Figaro included Minsk in the top 20 countries recommended for visiting in 2020.